If you’re looking for the best in acoustic guitars and ukuleles, one name always jumps out at the top of the list – Martin. The iconic Pennsylvania company has been making top-of-the-line acoustic guitars since 1833 – but many people don’t know that they have also been producing outstanding ukuleles since 1916. The S1 Soprano is their take on a classic soprano uke with quality construction and vintage tone.
- FINISH: Natural, Satin
- CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Applied Dovetail
- BODY SIZE: Soprano Uke
- TOP: Solid Genuine Mahogany, 1-piece
- ROSETTE: B/W/B Boltaron
- TOP BRACING PATTERN: O-Uke
- TOP BRACES: Solid Sitka Spruce
- BACK MATERIAL: Solid Mahogany
- SIDE MATERIAL: Solid Mahogany
- NECK MATERIAL: Select Hardwood
- NECK SHAPE: Soprano Uke shape
- NUT MATERIAL: Bone
- HEADSTOCK: Solid/Uke Taper
- FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Sipo
- SCALE LENGTH: 13.614”
- NO. OF FRETS CLEAR: 12
- NO. OF FRETS TOTAL: 17
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1-13/32”
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 1-13/16”
- BRIDGE MATERIAL: Solid Morado
- BRIDGE STYLE: O-Uke style
- BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 1-41/64”
- SADDLE: Bone
- TUNING MACHINES: Grover Nickel w/ White Buttons
- RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin Ukulele (M600)
- BRIDGE AND END PINS: none
- PICKGUARD: none
- INTERIOR LABEL: Paper label
The S1 has all the hallmarks of vintage soprano ukulele tone; there’s no shortage of bright, punchy sounds on offer here. The range tilts noticeably toward trebles, and the notes lack depth in comparison to larger-bodied concert and tenor ukes. However, the S1 does offer nice balance in its tone – chords chime and jangle but don’t cross into shrill territory.
Likewise, plucked notes are smooth and focused but not overly piercing. This uke also projects much better than most other sopranos – while it may be tiny, it’s certainly loud! Though clearly optimized for strumming chords, players should be able to play any style of soprano music on the S1 and get great tone without any problems.
This uke is in excellent, pretty much as-new condition. There are no dings, dents, marks or evidence of wear anywhere.
It’s a high quality instrument with a great sound – clean, clear and bright – in virtually new condition, at a rather better than new price. It has a new set of top quality Aquila strings & has been set up by respected Sydney Guitar tech Steve Cocking.
Comes in its quality padded Martin gig bag in new condition.