The David Gilmour Stratocaster is a Fender Custom Shop model that is based on Mr Gilmour’s black American Vintage '57 AVRI Strat which he bought many years ago. It features a Maple neck with a late '50s C-shape profile, Vintage Gotoh tuners with a bevelled tremolo block and a shorter tremolo arm.
It uses custom hand-wound single coil pickups (Fat '50s at neck and Seymour Duncan SSL-5 at bridge specifically) and a mini-toggle switch allowing the neck pickup to be paired with either of the other pickups. It is only produced in a black finish with a black pickguard.
This NOS (New Old Stock) version of this model features all of the above, but has not been given Fender’s relic treatment.
The David Gilmour Signature Series Stratocaster Guitar has an alder body, gloss black nitro finish, a black pickguard, a one-piece straight-grain maple neck, and Gilmour's now-famous electronics and shortened vintage tremolo arm.
The Fender Custom Shop worked hand-in-hand with Gilmour and his longtime guitar technician, Phil Taylor, to create this signature model instrument, a detailed reproduction of the Black Strat, complete in its unmistakable look, sound, and feel.
- Body: Alder
- Finish: Nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck: one-piece maple, reissue C-shaped, .790" to .870" taper
- Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25" radius
- Frets: 21, vintage
- Scale Length: 25.5"
- Nut: 1.675"
- Hardware: Vintage
- Tuning Keys: Vintage
- Bridge: Vintage Stratocaster with Custom shortened vintage tremelo arm
- Pickguard: .120" one-ply black acrylic pickguard (exclusive to Gilmour model)
- Neck: Custom Hand-Wound Fat '50s Strat
- Middle: Custom Wound Strat
- Bridge: Seymour Duncan SSL-5
- Pickup Switching: Stratocaster five-way switch with two-way toggle that adds neck pickup to the middle and bridge positions
- Controls: Standard Stratocaster Volume, Tone, Tone arrangement
- Unique Features: Special three-bevelled vintage tremolo block
- Shortened vintage tremolo arm.
- Two-way toggle activates neck pickup in the middle and bridge positions.
Weight is 8.1 lbs
This guitar is in excellent, almost new condition. Apart from a few light surface marks on the back we cannot see any evidence of player wear. The plastic is still on the rear trem cavity cover. It has been well looked after and only made rare appearances out of its case.
The Fender Custom Shop team has done a superb job on this DG signature model. This is possibly the best crafted '57 spec Strat since the Fullerton reissues. The production run finished in early 2020 and there will be no more.
These are hard to find and could well be a good investment over time. And what a pleasure it is to play.
Comes in its special Custom Shop centre pocket black tolex case with crushed green lining and "Custom Shop" embroidered on interior. Includes original sales tags & Certificate Of Authenticity.