The Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt (Dale Wilson) NOS Roasted Telecaster has a Roasted AAAA Flame Maple Top, Butternut Walnut Body, AAAAA Flame Maple Neck and Fingerboard, Large "C" Profile, Hand-Wound Twisted Tele Pickups, and Chrome Harware.
Fender Custom Shop is the creme da la creme when it comes to the Fender company. The Fender Custom Shop was dreamt up in the late eighties under the supervision of Bill Schultz with luthiers John Page and Michael Stevens at the helm. The idea for the Fender Custom Shop Division was to build one off pieces not explicitly intended for the public. Due to its popularity Fender Custom Shop has grown and is now best known for its Time Machine and Journeyman series in particular, and its aged / relic guitars.
There are three levels of build at Fender Custom Shop –
- Custom Shop – super high quality production models made available to the general public, albeit in more limited quantity than Fender's standard lines.
- Teambuilt - a more affordable alternative where short runs of a specific model are worked on by a team of the best Custom Shop builders. Some examples of these instruments include the Dick Dale Stratocaster, the David Gilmour Stratocaster, & Telecaster Thinlines.
- Masterbuilt – the ultimate Custom Shop experience where one particular Masterbuilder is assigned to oversee construction of a specific instrument, often as a special order. These instruments are designed to closely replicate the original examples or special designs unique to the particular Masterbuilder. They are very limited in number, very collectable and priced accordingly.
One such Masterbuilder is Dale Wilson who has been building guitars for Fender Custom Shop for over 15 years and was initiated into the Masterbuilt team in 2011. The NOS Roasted Telecaster is a visual masterpiece with its truly stunning roasted maple top and neck. It also features Custom Shop handwound Twisted Tele pickups so it sounds every bit as good as it looks.
Dale Wilson arrived at Fender in 2003, joined the Custom Shop in 2005 and became a Master Builder in 2011. Building guitars has been a driving passion for the California native since childhood. “Ever since I can remember, I’ve always loved guitars,” he said. “I didn’t dream of being a rock star; I dreamed of building the ultimate guitar. I was equally enthralled with the guitars just as much as I was with the players.”
Woodworking runs in the Wilson family, and the requisite Custom Shop zeal for outstanding craftsmanship has long been part of Dale’s DNA. He did repair work and mods in a small guitar shop right out of high school in the late 1980s; subsequently moving on to stints at Dobro and Rickenbacker before arriving at Fender, where he worked on Guild, Gretsch and Benedetto guitars before beginning his apprenticeship with various Custom Shop Master Builders.
Wilson built five beautiful custom guitars for the January 2011 NAMM Show while still an apprentice and was asked to signed the back of the headstocks, after which he became a Fender Custom Shop Master Builder.
He enjoys calling upon his extensive and varied experience as a craftsman to create highly distinctive guitars including this fabulous Masterbuilt Telecaster.
- Body Material: Butternut "walnut"/Roasted 5A Flame
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocelloluse Lacquer
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Materials: Roasted 5A Flame Maple
- Neck Pickup: Handwound Twisted Tele
- Neck Shape: Large C .875-.950"
- Fingerboard: Roasted 5A Flame Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 10"
- Fret Number: 22
- Fret Size: 6105
- Bridge: 63 Vintage Tele, Brass Saddles
- Bridge Pickup: Handwound Twisted Tele
- Control Knobs: Chrome Dome
- Controls: Vol, Tone, 3-way
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Pick Guard: Parchment
- Pickup Configuration: SS
- Pickup Switching: 3-way
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Series: Custom Shop Masterbuilt
- String Nut: Bone
- Tuning Machines: Vintage Nickel
- Instrument Weight: 6.7 lbs
Apart from some very light pick marks on the guard, this Masterbuilt Tele presents as brand new. It is in pristine condition - the finish on the top, neck & headstock is unmarked, no dings, dents, scratches and no buckle rash on the back.
The “large C” neck is really comfortable, not small, but not really big either – plenty of wood but very easy to play in all positions. The frets show no sign of wear. The pickups sound great, and overall this guitar presents in superb condition.
And check out the highly figured tiger striped maple neck - truly spectacular, and not seen too often these days.
The craftsmanship on this guitar is simply fabulous – typical of Dale Wilson’s work at the highest level of Fender Custom Shop. Nice weight, exceptional playability, hand made, great sounding – the perfect package.
Fender Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity and full specification sheet is included, along with Fender leather strap, CruzTools kit, manual, cable, picks, cloth, ashtray bridge cover.
Comes in its original tweed Fender hard shell case in new condition.
Video demo of Roasted Maple CS Tele - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohAAi1SzKc