Germany's AER has an uncompromising attitude when it comes to product design and manufacturing standards. They are guided by the simple belief that their job is to make the finest products possible. Yes, you've heard it before, but AER actually follows their own mission statement.
The AER Alpha combines lunchbox like portability with performance that rivals that of much larger amps. It's twin-cone 8" speaker and 40 watts of power deliver the warmth, transparency, and power that you'd expect from Germany's best acoustic amp manufacturer. At only 10" wide and 15 lbs, the Alpha is one of the smallest amplifiers on the market, delivering well-balanced tone at all sound pressure levels.
The Alpha has two inputs - a 1/4" and a combination XLR / 1/4" which will allow you to run stereo pickup systems or multiple instruments through the amp. Digital effects and a slew of outputs are included: DI out, tuner out, line out, headphone, and a footswitchable effects loop. A built in microphone stand adapter socket is included.
The Alpha’s exterior is made with a tough black acrylic coating, and the cabinet is actually birch plywood, not cost-cutting particleboard. There's no comparing the durability of plywood vs particleboard, but the birch also helps keep the weight of the amp down,
The Alpha amplifier defines the starting point of serious acoustic amplification at AER. Based on the success and the experience with the Compact 60 they have developed an even smaller, lightweight model that has no difficulties living up to the rigors of the road. Amazingly reduced, without losing what is essential for superb performance - the Alpha is a full size member of the AER product family. Open sounding and quick in response, this guitar amp masters different ranges and is not afraid of bigger instruments.
The AER Alpha has an integrated digital reverb effect on board. The return control determines the intensity of the effect (as far to the left as possible means no effect). Furthermore, a supplementary effect device can be connected (external effect). For this purpose, use the sockets send and return at the rear of Alpha to connect the external device (send to the input, return from the output of the external effect). The intensity will then be set by the controls of external effect device. A standard double foot switch can be connected to the footswitch socket on the rear of the amp with a stereo cable. This switch can be used to turn the internal and external effects on and off.
- Combination XLR male and 1/4" inch input with individual gain knob
- Line/mic preamp mode selector switch line: sources with line level, instruments with active preamplifiers and magnetic sound pick-ups, mic: symmetrical microphone input with 24V phantom source
- 1/4" input 2 line level with individual gain knob
- Pad switch to adjust input sensitivity up position: standard line level down position: reduction by 10 db/V
- LED Clip overload indicator for both channels
- Color mid-range contour filter, only active for input 2
- Bass, middle, treble, effect return and master levels for both inputs
- On LED
- Phones: headphone output
- Line-out: preamplifier output post-master control
- DI-out: XLR output pre master control effect loop mono, parallel send: output, to input of an external device
- Return: input, from output of an external device or from another signal source, e.g. CD player
- Footswitch: connection to a double foot switch-to-switch internal and external effect on and off
- Power: combined mains switch with a mains socket and a fuse holder (1 a slow-blow)
- Accessory: 3/8" microphone stand adapter
- Carrying bag
- Input one: XLR Combi
- Line: unbalanced, 1 MEG, mic: balanced, 600 Ohm, Voice filter 300 Hz
- Input two: line: unbalanced, 2.2 MEG, pad: -10dBV, eff.return: -10dBV/10k
- Outputs: line: 0dBV, DI: -20dBV, send: -10dBV
- Foot switch tip: built in effect, ring: external effect, sleeve: ground
- EQ: bass: ±8 dB/100 Hz, middle: ±3 dB/550 Hz, treble: ±11 dB/ 10 kHz
- Analog signal processor: limiter, subsonic filter and enhancer
- Effect: digital reverb
- power amp: power consumption - 220-240 V / 50-60Hz / 55 VA (110V / 50-60Hz)
- Rating: 40 Watt / 4 ohm RMS
- Mains Fuse: 1 A slow
- Speaker: 8" twin-cone speaker-system (96 dB 1w/1m, freq. range 60Hz-18kHz)
- Cabinet: 0.47" (12 mm) birch plywood
- Dimension: 10.24' (260 mm) high, 10.43' (265 mm) wide, 9.25' (235 mm) deep
- Finish: water based acrylic, black spatter finish
- Weight: 14.33 (6.5 kg)
This AER Alpha is a one owner amp, bought new in 2010 and used sporadically in recent times. It has been well looked after and kept in its AER zip up cover, which is included in the sale.
It is in excellent condition and everything works as it should. A little light scuffing on two corners but cosmetically that’s about it. A wonderfully compact and versatile amp, this little devil delivers big acoustic tone with lots of focus and projection, without colouring the natural sound of your instrument.