In 2012 Fender released their Select Series – three Telecasters, two Stratocasters, a Precision Bass, and a Jazz bass, intended to bridge the gap between the American Deluxe Series and the company’s wide variety of Custom Shop instruments.
In the case of the Select Tele Thinline listed here, there’s plenty to suggest that this “mid-upmarket” designation is much more than just a branding effort.
This Select Tele is beautiful to view & a delight to play. The Violin Burst maple top caps an alder body and provides a noticeable top end sparkle. The neck is flame maple as well, and it’s hard not to be struck by the beauty of the wood on this instrument.
The medium jumbo frets and C-shaped neck both feel familiar and fall under your fretting hand in a way that will seem like an old friend. The neck’s compound (9.5″-14″) radius is fast, super smooth, and very comfortable to play in the higher registers.
The Fender Select pickups on this Thinline are clear and focused. The neck position is warm but with exceptional definition, while the bridge pickup has all the clarity and brightness you’d want from a Telecaster’s most biting voice, but with a nice thick midrange as well.
It’s easy to delve into the high voltage Telesphere with this guitar, but it can also manage a mellower blooming tone when worked with less aggressive settings.
- Features –
- Body Material: Select Alder with AAA Exotic Maple Top
- Body Finish: Hand-Stained with Gloss Lacquer Finish
- Neck: Bird’s-Eye Maple Modern “C” Shape
- 5″-14″ Compound Radius (241mm-355.6mm)
- Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
- Position Inlays: Vintage Black Dot
- Scale Length: 25.5″ (648mm)
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.685″ (42.8mm)
- Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
- Bridge: 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo with Bent Steel Saddles
- Tuning Machines: Fender Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Locking
- Pickups: Fender Select Single-Coil Tele
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade
- Controls: Master Volume & Tone
- Fender Select Medallion Inlaid on Back of Headstock
- Bi-Flex Truss Rod System
- Rolled Fingerboard Edges
- Contoured Heel
- Aged White Plastic Parts
This guitar is in showroom condition. It is 6 years old but you would not know it. No wear on anything except some light pickmarks on the guard. No changes, modifications, no issues.
And at 7.2 lbs it is very light, and accordingly acoustically loud and lively. The hollow half body above the bridge and pickups certainly adds a lovely “woody” dimension to the tone. Feels like once you strap this one on, you’ll play it all night.
The US made Select Telecaster Thinline is a true evolution of an already great guitar. It is pitched just below the Custom Shop line, but in refinement, attention to detail, and playability this guitar is simply a joy to behold – a top quality go-to guitar that will reward a new owner for years to come.
Comes in its Fender tweed hardshell case in new condition.