There are three levels of build at the Fender Custom Shop –
- Masterbuilt – the ultimate Custom Shop experience where one particular Masterbuilder is assigned to oversee construction of a specific instrument, usually as a special order. These instruments are designed to closely replicate the original examples and are very limited in number and often extremely expensive.
- Teambuilt – a more affordable alternative where short runs of a specific model are worked on by a team of the best Custom Shop builders. Some examples of these instruments include the Dick Dale Stratocaster, the David Gilmour Stratocaster, & Telecaster Thinlines.
- Custom Shop – high quality production models made available to the general public, albeit in more limited quantity than Fender’s standard lines.
Cosmetically this guitar is identical to the models that came off the line in 1969, played by renowned guitarists such as Gilmour, Blackmore and Hendrix. The build reflects features as period-accurate as possible – from the F-style tuning machines and 6-point tremolo, to the mid-late 60s U-shaped maple neck and larger late 60s headstock.
The kicker for us is the handwound Custom 69 Pickups, which in our view, are some of the finest pickups ever made by Fender Custom Shop. This one is finished in stunning gloss black nitrocellulose lacquer which not only looks great, but it also allows the guitar’s body to breathe with extra resonance, sustain and a more natural sound.
- Fender Custom Shop Teambuilt
- Gloss Black
- NOS Finish
- ’69 U Shaped Neck Profile
- Bone Nut
- 7.5″ Radius
- Medium Jumbo Frets
- Custom Shop ’69 Pickups
- Master Volume
- 2 x Tone Controls
- 5 Way Switch
- Alder Body
- Weighs 8.0 lbs
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Case Candy
This instrument is New Old Stock (NOS) which means it is not artificially aged at all – the exact opposite of a relic. It was a special order which also features a lightweight alder body, polyurethane finish on the neck, a maple cap fingerboard, and no skunk stripe on the rear of the neck. So it’s pretty much a one-off.
It was used for a specific project, and is in as new, virtually showroom condition. Built in 2015, it has been played-in, but treated with care. It is a stunning example of the highest levels of a Fender CS Teambuild and would suit a new buyer looking for substantial savings, and no wait time.
Comes with lots of case candy, Certificate Of Authenticity, and in its Fender Custom Shop G&G case in new condition.