Here is an increasingly hard-to-find Aria Pro II TS-600. This top-of-the-line “Thor-Sound” model was built at the legendary Matsumoku manufacturing plant in 1981 at the height of the golden age of Japanese guitar manufacturing. And it is finished in the quite beautiful and very rare colour of Cobalt Blue.
This is a solidly-built, well crafted instrument. It is all original and fully functional. The neck-thru design features a 5 ply maple/walnut with ash body wings and a string-thru-body bridge with chrome saddles, a brass nut, and Aria Pro II tulip tuners.
It comes loaded with its two original high output Protomatic III humbucking pickups (aka MMK53) with ceramic magnets reading around 11.8k ohms output.
– Onboard booster pre amp (to our ears an onboard DOD overdrive)
– Phase switching
– Coil taps
– 6 position Varitone switch
– 5 ply maple/walnut thru body neck
– Brass nut
– Ebony fingerboard
– 24 frets
– Ash body with maple centre block, walnut stripes
– Poly finish
– 25.5″ scale length
– Weight is 8.1 lbs
1. 3-position pickup selector switch
2. Master volume control
3. Master tone control
4. 6-position tone selector switch: Selects a by-pass circuit or Lo-cut/Hi-cut filters in 5 steps
5. Booster (overdrive) switch
6. Booster level control: You can pre-set selected volume levels and achieve instant distortion on a flick of a switch. Even if the battery power is exhausted, normal sound can be obtained with the booster switch in “OFF”
7. Dual sound switch (front)
8. Dual sound switch (rear): Selects either series or parallel connection
9 Phase reversal switch: Changes the phase between the front and rear pickups to achieve the distinctive “out-of-phase” sound providing really good attack and sound variations
This is a mighty cool guitar that sounds as good as it looks. It is in excellent original condition with no changes or modifications that we can see. A few chips & dings here and there, but nothing objectionable. The neck is straight & true, truss rod works fine, medium frets in good condition.
It is a very playable and super versatile guitar, somewhat approaching Alembic-like specs without the serious price tag. The onboard extras are well thought out and very useable. And, amazingly, the circuits are all intact and working as they should.
Definitely one out of the box – something quite unique with a look, sound and vibe all its own.
Comes in a later hard shell case in good condition.